Thursday, August 28, 2008

Mythopoeic Fantasy Awards

Another awards announcement! The Mythopoeic Fantasy Awards were announced on the 17th. Their Children’s Literature (picture books through YA) category "honors books for younger readers in the tradition of The Hobbit or The Chronicles of Narnia."

This year's winner is the complete Harry Potter series!

Nominations included:
Holly Black, Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale ; Valiant: A Modern Tale of Faerie ; Ironside: A Modern Faery’s Tale
Derek Landy, Skulduggery Pleasant
Nancy Springer, Dusssie
Kate Thompson, The New Policeman

What do you think? Do you think it was a good decision--that HP really is that good, despite all the hype? Or do you think another book or series on the list was better? Remember to take the criteria of the award under consideration (eg, "like the Hobbit or Narnia"). I have been meaning to read Holly Black's books for ages. Now I have some more incentive!

5 comments:

Jill Corrente said...

I don't know--I still can't get enough of HP. I'm relistening to all the audiobooks and thoroughly enjoying them--can't wait until the girls are old enough to read them, too!! I also have been meaning to read Tithe--it's sitting on my nightstand right now and I've carried around Skulduggery Pleasant for a bit--it's supposed to be an awesome audiobook. Ahhh--so much to read so little time. (I've recently reread The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings and have pulled out The Chronicles for another looksee--fantasy is one of my favorite genres)

MelissaZD said...

OK--I just finished Tithe. It's freaky, but interesting, & I'll try to get to the others soon...HP detractors claim that JKR really didn't do anything new (boarding school story, magic wands, yeah, yeah) but I think that all in all, she did create something unique, and ultimately deserves the kudos. What other fantasies are must-reads?

Jill Corrente said...

I finished Tithe,too--has anyone read Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr? In my opinion, it's the SAME story--and the whole fairy realm details are a little unclear--just like Tithe. I was trying to find a "must read" recommendation from my Shelfari bookshelf and got sucked in--anyone else on Shelfari? It's kind of cool and I believe Amazon just bought it.

Allison said...

Ok can you explain what Shelfari is? Is it better or different than Goodreads.com? In what ways? Thanks! Even though I am not much of a fantasy person I will have to take your recommendations into consideration!

Jill Corrente said...

Shelfari.com is a place to keep track of what you've read, what you're reading, and what you're planning to read. You can comment/rate the books, invite friends, and join groups to talk about certain kinds of books. I'm not familiar with GoodReads--I'll have to check it out.