Thursday, June 18, 2009

Trickle Down Readonomics?

As I brace myself to finally read Twilight, here's a great blog post from Carlie Webber at Librarilly Blonde that takes on one of my concerns: What happens when a teen book becomes so popular that younger and younger girls (and boys) want to read it? Just because something grows more popular doesn't mean it grows more appropriate.

Carlie's responding to another blog post, What to Do, What to Do? over at Publishers Weekly. There's tons of great comments there, many from a bookseller point of view. How are things different for us in a library?

What do you do when the 8 and 9 and 10 year old girls ask you for Twilight? If they just want to be on the vampire or supernatural bandwagon, what could we possibly give them instead?

1 comment:

julie said...

I shudder when 8 & 9 year olds ask me for "Twilight". These articles were dead on right. But the question still remains what do we offer them and how do we make it appealing when they have already finished book one. The wonderful rich books that make up our junior section will no longer be of interest. I had a 9 year old girl reading the Disney Fairies series of books and she just loved them. Then she saw the movie "Twilight" and wanted to read the book. Will I get her back to the junior section. I highly doubt it. The YA books are to mature for her but I know that is where she will want to go after this. It makes me very sad.