Thursday, April 16, 2009

Childhood Books

This is random, but I know some of you will feel the same way.
Over Easter I was back in SD visiting my family. I have a 7 month old niece, and I thought we'd read a story together. I went upstairs to the cupboard where all our childhood books are, and sat there going through all of them. It was so great to see them again, and remember which ones i loved and which ones I didnt. I was going through lots of them, forgetting my job at hand, when my sister came to see what the hold up was! She reported to everyone that I had to read all of them before picking one out. Which was partly true. It was so fun to see all those old books and stories again! Most of which I've only seen in my parents book case, and nowhere else!

4 comments:

Allison said...

Thanks for sharing this with us Amie! It is fun to look back and remember what you liked to read as a kid. I often think I will go back and read a Nancy Drew just for grins because I was so addicted to them as a kid, but then there are so many on my list to read. A lot of the books I remember most were actually the ones that my mom read aloud to my sister and I when we were even in our teens from "Little Women" to "A Little Princess", "Where the Red Fern Grows" and then to "Gone with the Wind" and "Les Miserables". Some of my all time favorites!

Unknown said...

One of my favorite books was A DAY DOWNTOWN WITH DADDY (a Ding Dong School Book)(really!) by Miss Francis:) It was interesting to me since I grew up in a very small town and knew little about the "big city."
If you google the title you can find a picture of it on ebay.

MelissaZD said...

Amie, what a fun thing to share. What were some of those titles you got lost in? And what did you finally read to your niece?

Amie said...

I found a cookie monster book I loved, tons of the Golden books (most of what we had were golden books). I today cant remember the exact titles! I remember reading all of them!
I have the "Little House" set the I had growing up, and thos today are still some of my faves to read. Makes me happy just seeing them. :) I love to re-read but I also have too many to find to read them over again! (Les Mis is also my favorite grown up book! Just such an amazing story and characters. Oh how i love it!

I finally picked "cliffords family" but we only got a few pages in. She was pretty squirly!