Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A Place of Our Own

Hi all

I wanted to share with you this tv program that I think is great for anyone involved in Youth Services. The program is called 'A Place of Our Own.' It airs on PBS every morning at 5am (I dont get up that early to watch it, I DVR it,) but a few discs are also avalible through prospector. Its a great program that deals with child development, education, literacy, etc. The hosts of the show are usually preschool teachers, nannies, or parents, but I think that many of the topics could also apply to libraries. One of the episodes I watched discuss teaching children through cooking, even little kids. They talked about pairing books with food, such as reading 'Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs' and then making spaghetti. I really enjoy the show and I think there are some great ideas that could be incorporated in to ALDs Youth Services.

If you don't want to wake up at the crack of dawn to watch the program, they do have a decent website with lots of ideas.
http://aplaceofourown.org/

3 comments:

Allison said...

Cool Elizabeth thanks for sharing! I may even use this for school. I appreciate your insight as I have never heard of this show before.

MelissaZD said...

Thanks Elizabeth! I think I have stumbled across this looking for literacy ideas, but I had long forgotten it. It's good to be reminded.

Elisabeth said...

Wow! I didn't know about this. Very cool. Thanks for sharing it!